Our democratically-appointed executive mustache has had enough of the vandalism of late in Dolores Park's new playground, and he's not taking it anymore. According to Mission Local, Mayor Lee outlined plan to combat vandalism in Dolores Park at yesterday's Board of Supervisors meeting:
- The Parks and Recreation Department is working with food vendors and bicycle rental companies to offer “happy park uses.”
- The San Francisco Police Department will hire nine park patrol officers (citywide.)
- The police chief will tell his officers to enforce property crimes.
- “Once arrested, [the DA] will work to prosecute these criminals to the full extent of the law,” Lee said.
- Work with judges who dismiss vandalism cases and educate them on the importance of prosecution. “I see far too many [cases] dismissed,” he said.
- A graffiti specialist is currently developing leads to apprehend the vandals.
This sounds very similar to SFPD's plan to curb the so-called "out of control" behavior in Dolores, so draw whatever conclusions you will about this new anti-vandalism drumbeat.